[TeXmacs] Using TeXmacs for teaching in a High School.

  • From: "Adrian S." <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Using TeXmacs for teaching in a High School.
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 10:19:57 -0600

Hello everyone.

I am currently teaching a course in a High School and there are
certain things that some online softwere does that I think TeXmacs can
do better. Most of my colleages use either Windows or a Mac, and all
of my students have either a cellphone with either android or iOs.

1.- STEP BY STEP SOLUTIONS
One of the things that people request a lot is a software that does a
step by step solution to a problem.

Using TeXmacs numeric spreadsheets and Maxima, I can do the step by
step solutions for some problems; but I face the following problem:

*I do not know how to have the TeXmacs plugin for Maxima display
explicitly the multiplication. It outputs "2 3"; but what I want my
students to see is $2 \cdot 3$ or 2*3

2.-EXPORTING SELECTIONS TO IMAGES
Most colleagues do a quite long procedure to have some math exported
to image so that they can later put it in on line quiz activities like
Kahoot or Socrative.

This is already an easy option in TeXmacs, but

*I have not been able to export selection to image or copy to image in
Windows. Has anybody succeeded in having exporting to image in
Windows? Does it work in a Mac?

I have installed image magick and Gostscript, but I am not sure if I
am missing something.

2.-PERFORMING SIMPLIFICATIONS OF EXPRESSIONS.

This TeXmacs can do already, but it does not perform multiplications.

*I would like to have esc+return inside of a math environment to
perform the command in Maxima "expand(selected bit)". What is a
quick way to do that. I can look at the code and have it ready. If
someone knows, then I would like to know, otherwise, I will probably
look for how next week and share with you all.

I love TeXmacs. It is the program I use the most, and the one I love the
most.

Thank you very much for the help.
Peace.
-Adrian.

Any help in the problems I mentioned above is greatly appreciated.