Re: Wikipedia article

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Wikipedia article
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:22:35 +0200

On 27.09.19 09:52, TeXmacs wrote:
Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for this work. This is definitely an improvement.

Please find a proposal to shorten the graphics example a bit attached;
it would be nice to keep the same indentation; you may re-add the comments.

I will keep thinking about other suggestions.

Best wishes, --Joris

To make sure:

should we release the image with the standard Wikipedia license (I forgot what it is) or something else?

Apart this: two sentences that would benefit from a revision are:

1) The typesetting process converts TeXmacs trees into boxes.

Here I think the text could be expanded a bit. One could say which algorithm TeXmacs uses to break lines and what does it use to place lines on the page (as far as I understand in TeX these are the horizontal and vertical modes); and I read that there is a page-breaking algorithm as well. Maybe a short description of two or three lines with one reference to another Wikipedia article would be good.

2) Evaluation of TeXmacs trees proceeds by reduction of the primitives, that is by evaluation of macro applications.

I took this sentence from Massimiliano, but I understand it only vaguely: I think it means that the results of macros are substituted in for the macros themselves iteratively, till one reaches macros that have a typographic representation (the primitives). I can see it being ok at the talk, but I think it needs to be rewritten for Wikipedia (one should be able to follow it without knowing in advance what is the "evaluation of macro applications").

Giovanni