Re: Newer qt5 texmacs is slow while editing

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Newer qt5 texmacs is slow while editing
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:59:51 +0100

Hi Dennis,

Yes, this sounds plausible. The original X11 was designed to be
reasonably efficient on old, much slower computers. This was done
by displaying the text around your cursor first and interrupting
the output when more keyboard input became available.
Unfortunately, Max did not find a way to do this in Qt,
so TeXmacs is now obliged to either redisplay the entire screen
or nothing at all. If you are typing fast, then it is not possible
to redisplay the entire screen after every keystroke. Instead,
TeXmacs now treats keystrokes by bursts in that case.

Best wishes, --Joris