Re: Questions about formula editing

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Questions about formula editing
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 00:30:24 +0200

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 09:59:23AM +0200, Pierre-Henri Jondot wrote:
> - I use left exponent a lot with the transpose symbol for matrices. I would
> have supposed it to work like this :
> hit the matrix name, say A, then Ctrl-L ^, then the symbol such as t for
> the transposition. Instead, I get the exponent to the right of A when I
> proceed like this. Second try : I enter the name of the matrix, then
> selects it with shift-left, then hit ctrl-L ^ and A gets transformed into a
> left exponent. So I learned that instead you put the left exponent, then
> the matrix and everything is good. Actually I encoutered a situation when
> going out of the exponent put me out of formula editing, but I can't
> reproduce it. If I encounter it again, I'll post here.

Hmm, maybe the interface could be somewhat improved (especially when a
selection is active).
Anyway, the idea is to insert your script before your matrix in that case.

You may actually wish to define a macro for transposition.
I personally don't like the French left script convention very much and
prefer to use the 'top' symbol as a right superscript.

> - when writing a big sum with indices directly under and over, which is
> automatic when big centered formulas, it is a bit weird to have to hit
> twice the right key for the focus to go back to "normal" or maybe I should
> say that what is weird is what happens if you don't ! Not a big issue of
> course, the cursor being a good hint of what the focus is, but still
> something uncanny for newcomers when you go from :

We might make the cursor position just after the sum sign inaccessible
in the presence of scripts. Still, this might be a bit tricky.

> - Something I didn't understand, but by writing this mail and experimenting
> at the same time, I think I just did... Sometimes I want to write the
> product |x| |y| with no multiplication symbol, just the space that TeXmacs
> puts automatically by hitting * with no alternate version. In that case,
> TeXmacs only enters the left part of the absolute part when I hit the |
> symbol, whereas usually it gives me both. I am pretty sure now it is by
> design, as it allows to obtain quickly the semidirect product symbol as an
> alternate, which makes sense, but still something to get accustomed to.

You are right that we might have to disable "* |" as a shortcut.
It is more of a nuisance. I did my first commit since version 2.1
to fix this.

Best wishes, --Joris