Re: Questions about formula editing

  • From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <address@hidden>
  • To: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Questions about formula editing
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:42:59 +0200

Hi,
.

> You may actually wish to define a macro for transposition.

I don't write that many transpose matrices to make it so useful. I was a bit
confused at first, but now it is quite fast enough, and faster than what I
did with LaTeX, using right superscript to vphantom constructs...

> I personally don't like the French left script convention very much and
> prefer to use the 'top' symbol as a right superscript.

Both notations are available, and I'll then try to use both, but the left
superscript is, I think, more frequent.

>> - when writing a big sum with indices directly under and over, which is
>> automatic when big centered formulas, it is a bit weird to have to hit
>> twice the right key for the focus to go back to "normal" or maybe I should
>> say that what is weird is what happens if you don't ! Not a big issue of
>> course, the cursor being a good hint of what the focus is, but still
>> something uncanny for newcomers when you go from :
>
> We might make the cursor position just after the sum sign inaccessible
> in the presence of scripts. Still, this might be a bit tricky.

Another thing a bit surprising to me : if the superscript is not one single
letter but, for example : n+1, or 2*n, then the problem does not occur.

>> - Something I didn't understand, but by writing this mail and
>> experimenting at the same time, I think I just did... Sometimes I want to
>> write the product |x| |y| with no multiplication symbol, just the space
>> that TeXmacs puts automatically by hitting * with no alternate version. In
>> that case, TeXmacs only enters the left part of the absolute part when I
>> hit the | symbol, whereas usually it gives me both. I am pretty sure now
>> it is by design, as it allows to obtain quickly the semidirect product
>> symbol as an alternate, which makes sense, but still something to get
>> accustomed to.
>
> You are right that we might have to disable "* |" as a shortcut.
> It is more of a nuisance. I did my first commit since version 2.1
> to fix this.

Actually I did not really ask for any change there, as there might be users
who want the semi-direct product symbol (at my level of teaching next year, I
won't, for one, but some might !), but it might help newcomers indeed.

Regards,

Pierre-Henri