Re: Questions about formula editing

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Questions about formula editing
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:45:49 +0200

Hi Pierre-Henri,

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 03:42:59PM +0200, Pierre-Henri Jondot wrote:
> >> - when writing a big sum with indices directly under and over, which is
> >> automatic when big centered formulas, it is a bit weird to have to hit
> >> twice the right key for the focus to go back to "normal" or maybe I
> >> should say that what is weird is what happens if you don't ! Not a big
> >> issue of course, the cursor being a good hint of what the focus is, but
> >> still something uncanny for newcomers when you go from :
> >
> > We might make the cursor position just after the sum sign inaccessible
> > in the presence of scripts. Still, this might be a bit tricky.
>
> Another thing a bit surprising to me : if the superscript is not one single
> letter but, for example : n+1, or 2*n, then the problem does not occur.

No, this is not surprising: remember that cursor movement is graphical,
so if the superscript is wider than the sum sign, then the closest
cursor position when you move right is the one behind everything.
If the superscript is shorter, then the (arguably incorrect)
cursor position just behind the sum sign comes first.

> >> - Something I didn't understand, but by writing this mail and
> >> experimenting at the same time, I think I just did... Sometimes I want
> >> to write the product |x| |y| with no multiplication symbol, just the
> >> space that TeXmacs puts automatically by hitting * with no alternate
> >> version. In that case, TeXmacs only enters the left part of the absolute
> >> part when I hit the | symbol, whereas usually it gives me both. I am
> >> pretty sure now it is by design, as it allows to obtain quickly the
> >> semidirect product symbol as an alternate, which makes sense, but still
> >> something to get accustomed to.
> >
> > You are right that we might have to disable "* |" as a shortcut.
> > It is more of a nuisance. I did my first commit since version 2.1
> > to fix this.
>
> Actually I did not really ask for any change there, as there might be users
> who want the semi-direct product symbol (at my level of teaching next year,
> I won't, for one, but some might !), but it might help newcomers indeed.

As a general rule, the keyboard shortcuts should be most efficient
for the most frequent use. Multiplying absolute values is far more
frequent than using semi-direct products. One can still get
the semi-direct products using "| tab *" and "* tab |".

Best wishes, --Joris