Re: Getting started & navigation problems

  • From: Dmitry <address@hidden>
  • To: Luigi Amedeo Bianchi <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Getting started & navigation problems
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 23:48:37 +0300

Luigi, thank you!
Indeed, I confused the concepts of "mouse cursor" and "text cursor".
If we consider the cursor to be "text", then both the status bar and
scrolling work.
Probably the first sentence in "Getting started" should describe this
moment. Since I am sure that modern users think for the most part the
same way as I do.

But the fact that when scrolling the buffer, you should not forget to
click in the text before switching is still not good. Am I the only
one who is uncomfortable with this?

Regards,
Dmitry.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 3:11 AM Luigi Amedeo Bianchi
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 22/06/2023 21:53, Dmitry wrote:
> > Hi Basile,
> >
> > 1) It still seems to me that "move the cursor" is very different from
> > "move and click the cursor". Since the user experience in most other
> > programs is such that just hovering over an object is enough to
> > display its properties in the status bar.
> The thing is the cursor is *not* the mouse cursor. TeXmacs being a
> typesetting program, the cursor is the *text* cursor, which you usually
> move around with your keyboard.
>

> > 2) Thanks for the explanations of the two modes. Haven't found it in
> > the documentation yet, but again, all my previous user experience has
> > kept me from using multi-window intuitively.
>
> As for cycling through buffers, there was some code written almost a
> decade ago by Miguel (with a minor contribution of yours truly), which
> was shared on this mailing list (around spring 2015) and I used for some
> time. In the end it was a bit unreliable (possibly due to qt), so I
> stopped using it myself.
> I might go back and take a look at the code again and see if it makes
> sense still.
>

> > As for rewind, I didn't really understand what exactly you meant by
> > "Is TeXmacs returning to the beginning of the file because your cursor
> > stayed there?"
> > In buffer mode, whatever I do, if I switch buffers / files, they
> > always rewind to the very beginning, If I open files in different
> > windows, then of course there is no rewind
> What happens if you are in buffer 1, type something on line (say) 100
> and switch to buffer 2, than back to buffer 1? In my experience I am
> back in buffer 1 on line 100 (where the cursor is).
> Of course (as Basile wrote), if I only scroll around reading (with the
> mouse), the cursor (again, the *text* cursor) is on line 1, so when I
> cycle back to buffer 1, I am back to line 1, where the cursor is.
>
> Best,
> Luigi
>

> > Regards,
> > Dmitry.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 9:08 AM Basile Audoly <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Dmitry,
> >>
> >> Nothing inconsistent here: moving the cursor requires clicking and not
> >> just hovering the mouse.

> >> TeXmacs has two modes: one in which different files are loaded as
> >> buffers in a single window. Another one where files are loaded as
> >> different windows. The former is probably default in ubuntu, and the
> >> latter in macOS. You can switch mode in the preferences (I forgot the
> >> details).
> >>
> >> I am not aware of any hotkey for switching between buffers/windows and I
> >> miss it too. My recollection is that tabs are buggy in Qt and this is
> >> the reason why they are not used.
> >>
> >> Is TeXmacs returning to beginning of the file because your cursor stayed
> >> there? What happens is you move the cursor elsewhere and switch buffers
> >> back and forth? I am not saying that what you get is normal behavior, I
> [...]

Dmitry