Re: Bibliography problems

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Bibliography problems
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:21:41 +0100 (MET)

On 26 Nov 2001, Anthony W. Juckel wrote:

> I'm having a rather strange (I hope) error when trying to add a
> bibliography to my document. Now, if I export the document as LaTeX
> then manually generate an .aux file, run bibtex, re-run LaTeX, I get the
> correct output. But, if I just run Document->Update->Bibliography, I
> get nothing in my TeXmacs window. I've looked at the temp.aux file,
> which seems completely bare compared to the test.aux file I get when
> running LaTeX manually (all the file contains is \bibstyle and
> \bibdata. There are no \citation or \bibcite records in the file
> whatsoever. I've tried manually shutting down TeXmacs, removing the
> temp.aux file, restarting TeXmacs and re-generating the bibliography,
> but that doesn't work either. Again, let me say that when I simply
> export the file to LaTeX and run everything manually, I get the correct
> output. Does anyone know what could be going wrong here? Why aren't my
> citations (Insert->Link->Citation->Visible) being added the the temp.aux
> file? Is there anything I can do to get it to work properly, or do I
> just have to run LaTeX manually?

OK, so let us try to understand in steps what is going wrong.
First of all, you should create the bibliography in the right way:

1. Use Insert->link->citation->visible or
Insert->link->citation->invisible to create citations.

2. Use Insert->automatic->bibliography to insert the bibliography.
At the prompt, type your bibliography style (example: alpha)
as well as your .bib file (the .bib extension may or
may not be specified). Be careful that your .bib file indeed exists!

3. Please use Document->update->all for updating (this is safer,
because it also retypesets the document, which is necessary
if you added new citations). You may have to update thrice
in order to get all cross references right.

If you did all this:

4. If something does not work, look at the standard output
generated by TeXmacs as well as the files temp.aux and temp.bbl
in $HOME/.TeXmacs/system.

5. If you still do not see what went wrong after (4),
please install the latest version of TeXmacs on your system;
some changes have recently been made in the support of bibliographies
(multiple citations for instance).

If the errors persist, then please send your .tm and .bib file to
address@hidden and I will have a look at them.

Best regards,

Joris

Joris van der Hoeven (address@hidden)
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage

  • Bibliography problems, Anthony W. Juckel, 11/26/2001
    • Re: Bibliography problems, Joris van der Hoeven, 11/26/2001