Re: Missing { and }

  • From: Phil Mendelsohn <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Missing { and }
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:23:43 -0600

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 03:44:05PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if anyone else could suggest a reason why the "{" and "}"
> > keys show up in TeXmacs as "-" and closing quotes? I can't get the
> > braces, though they work correctly in other applications, so I assume
> > it's not a problem with X or the keyboard map.
> >
> > This is, BTW, a U.S. English keyboard layout.
>
> This is probably a problem with your font installation.
> By default, TeXmacs uses the 'ec' fonts from TeX/LaTeX.
> These fonts are available in most standard TeX/LaTeX distributions
> like teTeX. They have the advantage that the regular ASCII characters
> are at their normal positions. Furthermore, the characters for most
> european languages are supported in the character range 128--255
> (exceptions are the languages which need the cyrillic, greek or
> any other different alphabet).
>
> Now if your system does *not* correctly support the 'ec' fonts,
> then TeXmacs falls back on the 'cm' fonts which have a wild
> character layout. Some symbols (like '{', '}', '|') are therefore
> displayed in an odd way. I once have to correct this (not so urgent) bug,
> but in the meantime, I suggest to use a standard TeX/LaTeX distribution
> like teTeX.

This puzzled me when you mentioned it sometime ago, because I do have
teTeX on this machine. However, the fix was *very* simple, and found
by reading some TeXmacs docs carefully -- all that was necessary was
to delete the .TeXmacs directory and start again, and it found the
fonts correctly, problem solved.

Thanks.

Unrelated question:

I haven't played with it much, but is it possible to do macros that
would allow one to have keystroke equivalents for keys that don't
currently? For example, there's no keystroke equivalent for the
partial differential "d", but I'd really like to learn to make a
keystroke for it.

Cheers,
Phil Mendelsohn

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood