Re: frustration

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: frustration
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:02:01 +0100

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 21:32, Volker Wysk wrote:
> I'm trying Texmacs 0.3.5.8-1, the Debian package, but it seems like it
> doesn't like to run. When I start the program, it exists after a few
> seconds. If I type something, it instead asks "Not all files are saved. Do
> you still want to leave?" every few seconds.

I tried it (I'm using Debian testing), and I did not notice anything unusual.

If you cannot help figuring it out what is wrong with your installation, but
your machine has a fixed IP, maybe you could give me a ssh access so I could
investigate myself?

> Also, the text of the menus is very small. I'm using a resolution of more
> than 100 dpi on my screen. Is there any way to change the menu fonts? I
> couldn't find any documentation on how to customize anything.

In stable versions, you have to recompile TeXmacs to the change the user
interface font, there was a discussion on this mailing list about this:

http://listes.hautesavoie.net/wws/arc/texmacs-users/2001-12/msg00006.html

In recent versions there is a command line option.

> When I add a document title (insert/title/title after choosing
> document/style/article), I get a colored "<title|..>", where I can insert
> the title. But after pressing the Enter key, this disppears out of sight,
> and no title appears.

In pure LaTeX style, you have to creake a <maketitle element to show what you

There was a more thorough explanation on this mailing list recently:

http://listes.hautesavoie.net/wws/arc/texmacs-users/2001-12/msg00010.html

Recent versions of TeXmacs provide style files with a wysiwyg approach to
titles.

> Any ideas what's up? I'd really like to try it out, because otherwise it
> gives me the impression that Texmacs might be a sound structured text
> processor.

I think TeXmacs is really the next great editor after emacs (at least,
potentially), and today its main weakness is its lack of documentation. A few
people are trying to help this on the TeXmacs WikiWiki at
http://alqua.com/tmresources (sadly, it is down at the moment).

Do not hesistate to ask questions, as long as they are not answered in the
documentation or the FAQ.