GNU bash interface

  • From: michael graffam <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: GNU bash interface
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:32:12 -0700 (PDT)

While exploring TeXmacs some more and playing with the
mycas example, I noticed that the shell session in
TeXmacs doesn't really facilitate interactive use..
for instance, the current directory reverts to the
TeXmacs cd after each command.

So, I coded a simple TeXmacs interface for bash. The
interface itself is a bash script which uses bash's
eval feature to provide more complete shell access.

This method has limitations too, but it is sufficient
for providing a bit more robust shell.. and it works
right now :)

It might be possible to hook bash directly into
TeXmacs without modification by using a suitable init
script and a special PS1 prompt.

But for now, here is the script:

#!/bin/bash
function nextinput
{
COUNTER=$[$COUNTER+1]
echo -ne "\002"; echo -n "channel:prompt"; echo -ne
"\005"
echo -n "bash($COUNTER)] "
}

echo -ne "\002"; cat << EOF