Re: key-binding suggestions

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: key-binding suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:50:25 +0200 (MET DST)

> However, there's a number of details, where, IMHO, the comfort of the
> program could still be greatly improved, namely, the keybindings
> for moving around within mathematical environments and maybe the whole
> text:
>
> * First is about the [Home] and the [End] key: at the moment, they simply
> jump to the end of the whole environment. Editing large formulas, I hardly
> ever
> want to get there. My suggetion would be to make them move the cursor to the
> end of the innermost enclosing block, then, if the cursor already is at the
> end
> of a block, move up one block and so on. That way, a large number of
> important spots
> of the formula could be reached with just a few times of hitting [Home] or
> [End]
>
> * I badly miss the possibility for C-left and C-right for moving word-wise.
> Within
> formulas, that could mean something like "move without entering blocks"
> which would
> be really helpful.

We have been discussing this on the developpers mainling list

address@hidden

You may participate to this discussion if you wish (look at the archives).

> * When marking text of parts of formulas using S-[direction], the cursor
> moves just
> as usual, even though marking is only possible for whole blocks. Why not
> just jump
> larger steps in marking mode? When marking a portion of text, there is
> really no point
> in being able to position the cursor more exactly than the marking itself
> is possible.
> On the other hand, right now, you need to move characterwise through the
> whole portion
> you want to mark.

That is an interesting suggestion, which might be technically difficult to
implement though, because cursor movement is physical and not logical;
maybe we should keep on moving in the same direction as long as the cursor
remains inside the selection...

David: can you put this on the wish list?

> There is a number of other details like this, that could probably be
> greatly
> improved without much coding effort. It would be great to get some opinions
> about it
> and find someone who can build up the fascination necessary to do the
> fine-tuning
> necessary to make the whole thing really *feel* smug and comfortable...

Please consider sending us your suggestions to the developers list.

Thanks, Joris

  • Re: key-binding suggestions, Joris van der Hoeven, 10/04/2002