Re: I want to help with localization of TeXmacs, and a little help

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: I want to help with localization of TeXmacs, and a little help
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:43:38 +0100 (MET)

Hi Offray,

> I just Installed the .21 version of TeXmacs and I see a lot of
> improvements on the documentation and its organization.

We are very pleased to hear so :^)

> TeXmacs is my primary text editor and I use it for almost all,
> and I want to say thanks helping with localization but I dont know where to
> start.
> I know that Alvaro, Juan Pablo and Diego are working on spanish translation,
> but how can I join with them?

Alvaro, Pablo, Diego: can you please answer?

In principle, they translated the old documentation of TeXmacs
into Spanish, but they did not yet upgrade it to the new help system.
I don't know if they have made any progress on that.

By the way, please let us continue this discussion on
the developers mailing list address@hidden.

> I started the translation of the description of TeXmacs in the
> documentation. I will send it to you as soon as I can.

Great. Notice that you can get an account on savannah
(http://savannah.gnu.org/) and upload translations using CVS.

> I made my thesis on TeXmacs and now is time to made the presentation.
> Its posible to use TeXmacs for the presentation? or may be at this
> moment presentation mode is not good for that?

The presentation mode works fine, except with certain window managers.
I use the standard window manager for Gnome under Redhat 7.2.

> In case that TeXmacs can be used for presentation how can I insert a new
> Slide?
> How can I pass from one slide to another?

It would be good if someone could write a short help page on this.
Roughly speaking, you
1) Start a new "switch" in an empty buffer.
2) Type your first page.
3) Insert a "new branch after".
4) Type the next page
5) Repeat 3 and 4.
When finished, you may navigate in the different branches
using F9--F12. So a "switch" is a piece of markup which hides
all its children except one. You may change the visible child
using the keyboard. Notice that switches maybe used in
a recursive way. Notice also that you should always be careful
to keep your cursor inside the switch. Text which is written
outside the switch will be visible on all "slides".