Re: urgent help with page numbering

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: urgent help with page numbering
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 19:45:59 +0100 (MET)

> Is there any to tell texmacs (with article style) where to start page
> numbering? Or alternately, how can make the table of contents subtract
> one from the page number entries? This is on a deadline, so I'd really
> appreciate any help before 1AM CST on Monday Dec. 2.
>
> details:
> I'm writing a proposal with a slightly modified article style
> (modifications are just to the headers, and indentation for a
> subsubsection). I need to have a title page, executive summary, table of
> contents, list of figures, content. I want the content section to start
> with page 1. Ideally, I'd like the executive summary, toc, and lof to be
> numbered i,ii,iii,etc. But for simplicity, all I need to do is have the
> toc (which is its own page) pretend it is page 0 or subtract one from each
> entry so that the content is listed as starting on page one.

Well, you ask quite a lot at the same time here.
It is possible to modify the way pages are numbered,
but this has not been as easy as it should be yet :^(
I can do this for the next version, but that will probably
be too late for you.

What you can do now is hack the way headers are generated. Take a look
at the "header-article.ts" package (C-x C-f header-article.ts return) and
modify the macros "start-page", "odd-page-text" and "even-page-text"
as you want them to have (see also "Insert -> Header and footer").
You may want to replace <apply|thepage> by <plus|<apply|page number>|xxx>,
where xxx is an offset for the page number.

As to the title page, there is no predefined macro for that yet; just type
something which is visually nice and use "Insert -> Break -> New page".
Similarly for the page break after the table of contents.
I do not know what you mean by "executive" summary.
You may want to use the "\section*" macro (type "\section* return").
There is no easy way yet to create a list of figures;
this should be put on the wish list together with better numbering.

Best wishes, Joris