Re: urgent help with page numbering

  • From: "Jacob Perkins" <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: urgent help with page numbering
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:13:51 -0600 (CST)

>> Is there any to tell texmacs (with article style) where to start page
>> numbering? Or alternately, how can make the table of contents
>> subtract one from the page number entries? This is on a deadline, so
>> I'd really appreciate any help before 1AM CST on Monday Dec. 2.
>>
>> details:
>> I'm writing a proposal with a slightly modified article style
>> (modifications are just to the headers, and indentation for a
>> subsubsection). I need to have a title page, executive summary, table
>> of contents, list of figures, content. I want the content section to
>> start with page 1. Ideally, I'd like the executive summary, toc, and
>> lof to be numbered i,ii,iii,etc. But for simplicity, all I need to do
>> is have the toc (which is its own page) pretend it is page 0 or
>> subtract one from each entry so that the content is listed as starting
>> on page one.
>
> Well, you ask quite a lot at the same time here.
> It is possible to modify the way pages are numbered,
> but this has not been as easy as it should be yet :^(
> I can do this for the next version, but that will probably
> be too late for you.
>
> What you can do now is hack the way headers are generated. Take a look
> at the "header-article.ts" package (C-x C-f header-article.ts return)
> and modify the macros "start-page", "odd-page-text" and "even-page-text"
> as you want them to have (see also "Insert -> Header and footer"). You
> may want to replace <apply|thepage> by <plus|<apply|page number>|xxx>,
> where xxx is an offset for the page number.

This will change the displayed page number for the content, but will it
affect the table of contents at all? I can print the content out
separately without the toc, which gives me the correct numbering, but I
still need to fix the toc. Should the above hack do this?

> I do not know what you mean by "executive" summary

It's basically a long abstract for those that won't be reading the
proposal in detail, ie executives.