Re: Responder: Re: Perhaps a Bug on page header and page breaking

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Responder: Re: Perhaps a Bug on page header and page breaking
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:26:12 +0100

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:21:52AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> I send attached document wich have the random page breakings. I note
> that this occur only in one page of the first <section*>
> (called "Introducción") or in the last one <section>
> (called "conclusiones y recomendaciones").

I did not notice any problem with "Introduccion", but I saw the
problem with "conclusiones" and I could isolate it. I will file a bug
report with the minimal document to reproduce the problem.

It seems that under some circumstances, the penalty calculations
involved by "page break" find a wrong solution.

For information, there are essentially two page breaking tools in
TeXmacs:

page break -- try to fill the current page (that were things are
wrong) and start a new page at the end of the paragraph.

new page -- try not to fill the current page, leaving an important
amount of vertical space, and start a new page at the end of the
paragraph.

What you want to use most of the time in your document is "new page",
not "page break". You should not have any filling problem with that
one.

Also recent versions of TeXmacs have new formatting primitives: "new
page before" and "page break before" which start a new page at the
*start* of the current paragraph. Most of the time in your document
you actually want to use "page break before" in the paragraph of your
section heading (I can't remember if that exports well to LaTeX
though).

(BTW thanks, that exhibits a situation which is problematic to HTML
export).

--
David Allouche | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer | http://www.texmacs.org