integration with RCS/regexp procedures?

  • From: Daniel Andor <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: integration with RCS/regexp procedures?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:40:26 +0000

Hi,

I've searched the list but find no mention of this topic, so here goes.

I'm trying to implement a rudimentary integration with RCS, so I can version
control my texmacs documents. This involves adding a few menu points to do
check-in/out etc, and some way of storing the $Id$ etc variables in the text
file, which I like to see in my documents.

Has anyone worked on integrating RCS/CVS before?

So I have a few related questions:

1) Emacs has a nice way of opening a small multi-line buffer for you to type
your log text into. Is there a way to do this in texmacs?

2) I need to shell escape the log text argument. To do this I wanted to use
the (regexp-substitute/global ...) procdeures from guile, but they don't seem
to exist in texmacs! OTOH, (make-regexp ..) does work, so I don't
understand. Which guile procedures are or aren't available, in general?

3) My idea was to use a variable to store the $Id$ tag, and then this
variable
can be accessed at other points in the document. I use (make-assign "RCSID"
"$Id$") to insert the assignment into the document when you click on the
appropriate menu item. But there isn't a (make-value ...), so I'm using
(make-active "value" 1) and then (insert-string "RCSID") to insert that in.
Is this the correct way? I couldn't find any documentation.

4) The $Id$ tag can grow quite long, and it needs to be on a single line for
RCS to recognise it correctly. So I need to prevent the possibility of line
breaks in the source file, which texmacs automatically adds when saving. Is
there a way to keep a chunk of text on one line? I was thinking verbatim, in
which case how do I add a verbatim tag? (make-active "verbatim" ...)?

Thanks,

Daniel.