A idea about "executable readmes"

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: A idea about "executable readmes"
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:06:52 -0500

Hi all,

Some time ago I posted a message about "Executable README". Which are
documents that use the action Link to put a shell command behind the
phrase wich describes the action, e.g:

Phrase: "To install this software create the directory test under /opt"
Link in: "create the directory"
Action link: mkdir /opt/test

So when the user clicks on "create the directory" the action takes
place. I told that some kind of message woulb be nice to know that.

Joris told me kindly, that the dev team is thinking in something like
that, but the message will change the document and ask me how I want
that message.

I think that may be a pop up message (like the one in "generating
fonts") can be less intrusive and leave the document intact.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Offray