Re: modify TeX itself to enable WYSIWYG

  • From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: modify TeX itself to enable WYSIWYG
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:05:30 +0200

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:19:27 +0200
David Allouche <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:19:43PM -0700, Salman Khilji wrote:
> > >
> > > A Qt-Win32 port will probably never happen because the Qt-Win32
> > > license is proprietary, and thus incompatible with the GPL. TeXmacs is
> > > 100% GPL.
> >
> > You can develop on Linux and then ask someone who has a license to Qt
> > Win to compile the app for you. This is legal.
>
> Yes it is.
>
> But distributing the resulting binary is illegal. What this mean is
> that only the person who actually compiled the executable can use it.
> Otherwise, the person who compiled the executable and distributed it
> is in violation.

That is very weird... I have read and re-read the licensing terms of qt,
commercial edition, and didn't read anything of the sort... (If they have
such a restrictive licence, they won't sell many licences I suppose)

But do you know there is a qt non-commercial edition for windows too ?

see there : http://www.trolltech.com/download/qt/noncomm.html

But this edition is not up-to-date (version 2.3 of qt right now, whereas qt
free edition is >= 3.1), is binary only and demands microsoft visual studio
compiler so it might not be the panacea...

And of course the GPL licence in that case might have to be appended.

Just my two cents, (speaking euros, of course)

--
Pierre-Henri Jondot <address@hidden>
Page perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj