TeXmacs newbie questions

  • From: Salman Khilji <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: TeXmacs newbie questions
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:54:32 -0700

After RTFMing and going thru the online manual (Help | Full Manuals | User
Manual), I have a couple of questions:

1) When I select, for example, Alt-S, TeXmacs goes into "strong content tag"
mode. Then I type a word or two in strong mode. How do I come back to
normal using Keyboard? I know I can click the left-mouse button, but I'd
rather do it using the keyboard.

2) In the manual, when you are asked to follow a menu command, the commands
are typeset with nice arrows like "Document --> Page --> Type --> Paper".
How do I create these menu-like objects? what keyboard strokes do I have to
enter to create such an object? I am totally lost here.

3) When should one use the "Strong" tag and when to use "emphasize"? I
really
can't decide based on whats in the manual. I mean if I use strong text, I
want to emphasize the text, don't I?

4) Specific key-strokes in the TeXmacs manual are enclosed in a yellow box.
Like:

+-----+
| C-S |
+-----+

How do one create these boxes? Can someone please give me a step by step
keyboard strokes to accomplish this?

5) I am LOTS of other questions like these. I intend to post more later.
Shall I compile my thoughts in another document and give it to TeXmacs
maintainers to include it in the next version of TeXmacs or should I somehow
modify the current "User Manual". I find that the user manual looks pretty
nice, but it does not give enough details for dumb people like me to achieve
the effects. I want to include such details. Maybe a set of short tutorials
(one page each) would be a nice idea instead of having to read a long
document from start to end. We could call this "TeXmacs quick start". This
would be a "99% fat free" manual. No details----just a few quick keyboard
strokes to achieve a certain effect. How shall I go about this?

Salman