Re: TeXmacs newbie questions

  • From: Michèle Garoche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Salman Khilji <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs newbie questions
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:59:03 +0200

Le jeudi, 19 juin 2003, à 05:54 Europe/Paris, Salman Khilji a écrit :
1) When I select, for example, Alt-S, TeXmacs goes into "strong content tag"
mode. Then I type a word or two in strong mode. How do I come back to
normal using Keyboard?
Use the right arrow key. It's a shortcut to get out of any environment.

2) In the manual, when you are asked to follow a menu command, the commands
are typeset with nice arrows like "Document --> Page --> Type --> Paper".
How do I create these menu-like objects?
You should first use tmdoc-markup package using Document->Use package->Documentation->tmdoc-markup.
Then type the following sequence:

Meta i a (here Meta is the meta key)

You obtain two < >. Then type:

menu

Then use the tab key to produce a vertical bar, then type the first word(s) you want, then press the tab key, type the second word(s), etc...
The tab keys from the second one produce the arrows.
When you are done, press the return key.

Notice that you could not type directly some special characters, like $ for example, as they are acting on the environment. To get them, just type them outside of TeXmacs, and use the copy paste mechanism to copy them inside the curly braces after the vertical bar where you want them.

If you don't have a meta key, just press the escape key instead of the meta key, or any other key you've mapped to meta key.

If you make a mistake once you get out of the environment, just move your cursor at the end of the environment and use the backspace key to develop it, then use the left arrow key to go where you want, modify as you want and press return to finish.

3) When should one use the "Strong" tag and when to use "emphasize"? I really
can't decide based on whats in the manual. I mean if I use strong text, I
want to emphasize the text, don't I?
Yes, of course. But here emphasize and strong are different environments. For example, in letter document style strong is bold and emphasize is italic, but if you change the document style to seminar, strong is bold, but emphasize is blue color.

4) Specific key-strokes in the TeXmacs manual are enclosed in a yellow box.
Like:

+-----+
| C-S |
+-----+

How do one create these boxes?
You should first use tmdoc-keyboard package using Document->use package->Documentation->tmdoc-keyboard.
Then type the following sequence:

Meta i e (here Meta is the meta key)

This gives you {} and the cursor is inside the curly braces. Then type:

key

Then use the tab key to produce a vertical bar, then type the word(s) you want. Then press the return key, then use the right arrow key to get out of this environment.

Notice that you could not type directly some special characters, like $ for example, as they are acting on the environment. To get them, just type them outside of TeXmacs, and use the copy paste mechanism to copy them inside the curly braces after the vertical bar where you want them.

If you don't have a meta key, just press the escape key instead of the meta key, or any other key you've mapped to meta key.

If you make a mistake once you get out of the environment, just move your cursor where you make the mistake and modify as you want.

5) I am LOTS of other questions like these. I intend to post more later.
I'm currently rewriting the tutorial (will be finished next week or so). As I'm, as you, completely new to LaTeX and the like, I value your questions very high. Please don't hesitate to cc'd me or write me directly, as most new users of TeXmacs are already old users of LaTeX, therefore the manuel and the tutorial lack basic notions.

Michèle
<http://micmacfr.homeunix.org/>