Re: TeXmacs newbie questions

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs newbie questions
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:03:16 +0200

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 03:59:03AM +0200, Michèle Garoche wrote:

> Notice that you could not type directly some special characters, like $
> for example, as they are acting on the environment. To get them, just
> type them outside of TeXmacs, and use the copy paste mechanism to copy
> them inside the curly braces after the vertical bar where you want them.

Those characters can also be typed directly after the "symbol"
keychord S-F5.

For example, you can type \ with "S-F5 \" and $ with "S-F5 $".
See kbd-general.scm lines 143 to 151 and kbd-emacs.scm line 32.

You can also use the command keyboard command (aka latex shortcut) \$
to type $. See kbd-latex.scm line 21.

> >3) When should one use the "Strong" tag and when to use
> >"emphasize"? I really can't decide based on whats in the manual. I
> >mean if I use strong text, I want to emphasize the text, don't I?
>
> Yes, of course. But here emphasize and strong are different
> environments. For example, in letter document style strong is bold and
> emphasize is italic, but if you change the document style to seminar,
> strong is bold, but emphasize is blue color.

Generally, just use emphasize when you would use italics and strong
when you would use boldface. Most of the time, you should use
emphasize (since it is less distracting to the reader).

--
-- ddaa