Re: bibtex problem? no... #texmacs-users?

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: Kasper Souren <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: bibtex problem? no... #texmacs-users?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:10:54 +0200

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:36:54PM +0200, Kasper Souren wrote:
> > This problem has been answered approximately one zillion times
> > here.
>
> Then it's weird that I haven't noticed it, I've been lurking for
> quite a while...

Mhh... actually I found only a couple of answers from me and Joris...
that really feels like a FAQ to me... Maybe because it is often asked
privately on address@hidden...

> > The trick is that labels, references, citation, etc. are created
> > as deactived nodes. You need to press enter to activate them.
> >
> > This information is given in the footer when creating such nodes
> > from the menu, it is also explained in the manual in one of the
> > early chapters.
>
> Which one exactly? I didn't succeed to extract this information from
> the manual. And it's not in the chapter "links and automatically
> generated content" (I looked for "return" or "enter"). Do you mean
> the manual that comes with TeXmacs, or is there another one?

Help->Manual->Typing simple text
8.5. Dynamic objects

I agree that this is not really obvious when you just scan the
documentation (not reading it like a novel). Recent versions of
texmacs (which I cannot use because they just won't compile here) also
include a search engine, so the relevant documentation might be easier
to find.

> > > Also, for stuff like this I really find it handy to go to IRC
> > > pose my question and hang out there a while, helping other
> > > people in the meanwhile. So I wonder why #texmacs is reserved
> > > for developers? If this is really important, maybe
> > > #texmacs-users could be created?
> >
> > Yes, that would really be a good thing, if only there were people
> > with enough knowledge of texmacs *and* enough free time...
>
> Well, it doesn't cost that much time to just have a channel open,
> check what's happening there once in 2 hours and answer a question
> once in a while... And it's a good way to increase the knowledge of
> TeXmacs users at the same time. So that the next time someone else
> can answer the question.

I agree with you, ideally.

When I created #texmacs, it was intended to be exactly this. I
advertised it as a developer forum so people will at least _try_ to
solve their problem themselves before asking. But after several
monthes, it just appeared that the user community we (Alvaro,
Stephane, and a few others) have been trying to stimulate (through the
Wiki and the IRC channel mostly) was just not there.

Also, you just cannot imagine how frustrating a couple of people who
just _do not try_ can be.

But then... okay I'll be lurking there on #texmacs again (in one week,
because I am going on a vacation tomorrow). Maybe things have changed
since the last time.

--
-- ddaa