Conference posters

  • From: Benno Dielmann <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Conference posters
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:14:59 +0200

Hi all,

is there anyone out there who uses TeXmacs for conference posters and could
share his/her experiences?

I want to make a poster in A0 format. Its background should be coloured
while
the text should be in three rectangles with white background. Within the
rectangles, the text should be arranged in three columns.

My approach was to set the document background colour and put the text in
tables with background white, fixed height (e.g. 15cm) and "use paragraph
width". Since three-column text seems not to work inside tables I tried to
emulate it using three table-columns.

While this should in principle work, in reality (using TeXmacs 1.0.3.3) I've
got numerous problems:

- document background colour doesn't show up when exported to ps. I didn't
have the chance to do a test print so I don't know if its a ghostscript
problem...

- with A0 paper size I have to use quite big font settings so I tried to zoom
out using the View->Shrinking factor option. Unfortunately TeXmacs
reproducably crashes when setting factors >11

- Is there any option to make three columns in a table equally distributed
(equal in width). As a workaround I'm using fixed with for each one.

- How do I switch off page numbering?

- Exporting to pdf results in an empty page. In fact, even in kghostview, the
ps - files are displayed empty. The same ps files shows up partly correctly
in gv, but, as mentioned, without background colour.

Is there anyone who did similar things in TeXmacs and might help me? I don't
want to go back to LaTeX for this, but it seems I have to...

Many thanks in advance and greetings,

Benno Dielmann.