Re: [TeXmacs] X titlebar & iconname

  • From: Brian Keck <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] X titlebar & iconname
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:33:24 +1000

[this is a resend of the resend ...]

[this is a resend - 1st seems to have bounced]

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:54:29 +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Brian Keck wrote:
>> Is there a way to set the X titlebar & iconname for a tm document,
>> either by some markup inside the document or in my-init-buffer.scm based
>> say on the pathname?
>
>At the moment, no. What should be the exact behaviour of such a tag?
>What is its typical use?

I have a lot (>1000) of directories containing files with common
basenames such as README, X, Welcome.html, Print, Mh. I have a system
for naming them, usually agreeing with the directory basename or such.

I use twm icon managers to keep track of my windows. For instance when
I'm editing /home/maths/editors/texmacs/README, the icon manager slot
for the corresponding xterm shows '+texmacs'. This is done using the
vim command 'set iconstring'. For an xterm whose current MH folder is
/home/maths/editors/texmacs/Mh, the iconname is editors/texmacs. This
is done with xterm control sequences. Normally I have 15-20 xterms, &
this makes them more manageable.

I set the xterm titlebars in a similar way.

What I'd like to do is have per-directory texmac files. In my current
experiments I'm calling them TM (only have 2 so far). The main defect
at the moment is that the iconname & titlebar always shows 'TM' or 'TM
(2)', which is relatively useless & ugly.

Just to expand on the naming system (since you've read this far) ... All
the files that are handled in the naming system have 3 names - an
abbreviation (eg 'tm'), a reference name (eg 'texmacs'), & a path (eg
'/home/maths/editors/texmacs/README'). They also have a class ('readme'
in this case).

In vim, when I edit a new file, some vim-perl functions defined in my
vimrc files look up a database that maps the file pathname to its
class & reference name & sets the iconname & titlebar to show these.

I can switch files in vim through a keymap that takes an abbreviation as
an argument. My only texmacs achievement so far is to define 'C-x C-a'
to do the same thing.

I'm very attached to this system, & would love to be able to extend it
to texmacs.

Admittedly, not necessarily of wide appeal.

Could you suggest where I should look to make changes in the texmacs
source?

Apologies for being long winded.

Thanks,
Brian Keck