state of the Octave plugin

  • From: michael graffam <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: state of the Octave plugin
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:04:02 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

Yeah, its broke.

I confirm this with Octave 2.1.64 on Linux, with
TeXmacs 1.0.4.5.

Of course, the problem is far worse than it initially
seems :)

The REPL coded in Octave no longer seems to work,
(indicating that Octave has changed the way eval() and
related stuff works?) and raw mode doesn't work
either. The connection to TeXmacs dies, and Octave
turns into a zombie.

I haven't figured out exactly why this is happening,
yet. I'll try to dig into it this week.

The solution will probably break compatibility with
older versions of Octave. I have no intention of
maintaining glue for multiple versions of Octave, so
if your setup works now, with an upcoming version of
the interface, it won't. Be prepared to upgrade Octave
:)

The real solution is to patch Octave and do all this
stuff in C++, not in Octave code. I despise C++ and
won't do this, however, because I'm trying to devote
as much time as possible to the Lisp interface to
TeXmacs.