Re: [TeXmacs] Exact positioning of floating objects?

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Exact positioning of floating objects?
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:28:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Is there at least a way to exactly position floating boxes (with text,
> pictures or formulas) in fixed positions (relative to the anchor point,
> relative to the page or whatever)? Preferable, the box should just float
> on to of the regular text without shifting everything around.

The simplest solution is to *not* use floating objects and simply put your
figures and tables inside the text. This is actually what I do myself,
because the use of floating objects slows down the editor and I usually
want my figures to appear at a very definite place. When used in
combination with page breaking or page break preventing directives,
just before printing the final version, this usually works fine.

> B.t.w: I think the lack of control over the exact page layout is one of
> the major drawbacks of TeXmacs. It is great that page-layout is done
> automatically and intelligently, but for certain tasks, this can really
> get in the way.

I agree that we have to rework on this point.

  • Re: [TeXmacs] Exact positioning of floating objects?, Joris van der Hoeven, 04/26/2005