TeXmacs sometimes crashes at once on SuSE 9.1

  • From: Alfe <address@hidden>
  • Subject: TeXmacs sometimes crashes at once on SuSE 9.1
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:34:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, everybody ...

I've been running into a problem using TeXmacs. First, everything worked
perfect, I tried out the program and started writing a documentation for
one of our software products with it.

During writing it, I once encountered a strange problem: Right after
opening the editor, moving the mouse into the window removed it from my
desktop. No sign of a crash (any signal). Running TeXmacs in strace
showed that the program terminated by calling _exit(0).

After testing around a little, the problem was gone without a trace and
leaving me no clue about its origin. At least I could go on working with
TeXmacs; I refrained from experimenting with wild clicking orgies and
stuff to see if I could reproduce the effect because going on writing had
priority then.

Now, after a reboot of my machine, I am not able to start up the TeXmacs
with my written document. Sometimes starting up the TeXmacs without any
document produces a well-designed window which pops away as soon as I
touch it with the mouse or click anything in it. Sometimes the thing is a
little more stable, but the window _always_ disappears when I load my
file, set it to shrinking factor 6 (which is most comfortable for me) and
start scrolling in the file.

I found out now that not the whole program is terminating when the window
disappears, but that one window is shutting down. If it is the only one,
the program terminates of course. But if I manage to open further windows
(via clone view or similar) before the only first window disappears, then
the remaining windows usually (not always) stay open and even the buffer
displayed in the window which disappears is still available in the other
windows.

I have tried this on several hosts, under several user ids (i.e. a
colleage of mine also encountered the phenomenon) and with several
versions of TeXmacs (namely 1.0.3 and 1.0.5). I tried RPM packages as
well as source tar balls (which compiled without any problem). I removed
my ~/.TeXmacs/ directory several times to make sure nothing poisonous was
left in there.

I always tried this on SuSE Linux machines (9.1, 8.0). Once I tried it on
Redhat and got an instant segfault (probably due to incompatible thread
libraries). We don't really use any other distribution but SuSE, so my
options are limited.

I'm surprised that nobody seems to have noticed the problem which is now
about to kill the work I have done by typing the documentation in TeXmacs.

TeXmacs is a great program with a very nice approach and I like the look
and feel by now. But this ugly bug makes me think it wasn't a good
choice, being not stable enough for larger documents :-/

Please show me that I'm wrong. Any ideas?

Alfe
/___/ /___/___ http://www.alfe.de, address@hidden, Alfe @ Tubmud
/___/___/___/___ Alexander Fetke, Bruno-Taut-Ring 5b, 12359 Berlin
/ /___/ /___ +49 173 6073521, +49 30 60109906, +49 30 44030634