Re: [TeXmacs] installing new fonts (garamond)

  • From: Ingolf Schäfer <address@hidden>
  • To: "Pedro Sanchez" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] installing new fonts (garamond)
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:48:13 +0100

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:48:37 +0100, Pedro Sanchez <address@hidden> wrote:

This is a very particular case of a question I've had a long time.
I'm a big fan of Garamond, ut such font is not included on texmacs.

I have linotype.com cds with both PFB files and TTF files. They are
installed on windows. Now I'd like to use them on texmacs. I know the
PFB are the ones I will need, but as far as I know, I would also need
.tm files

Is there a document where I can read how to get the .tm from the .pfb?

and.. is there actually documentation of how to add new type1 fotns to texmacs?
I checked the documentation and only I could see was tech stuff about
the implementation of font selection, but tnothing on how to add new
fonts.

any help would be appreciated.

Hi Pedro,

I am not sure, if I understood your mail correctly, but I assume that you are using Windows and WinTeXmacs? I can offer no help there, but I can tell you how to use some .tff font in TeXmacs on a unix system, which is actually more a hack...

First you need the exact name of the font e.g. myfont.ttf. Then you edit the following files:

"TeXmacs/progs/fonts/fonts-truetype.scm", where you add your font like this

((MyCoolFont rm $a $b $s $d) (truetype myfont $s $d))

and give it a TeXmacs name (here MyCoolFont) and

"TeXmacs/progs/text/format-text-menu.scm",

where you add something like

(if (font-exists-in-tt? "myfont")
("MyCoolFont" (make-with "font" "MyCoolFont")))

in an appropriate menu.

You will need administrator privileges to modify your TeXmacs distro, which is why I consider this to be a hack. If someone can tell me, how to do this at user level I would be very grateful.

Yours,

Ingolf