Re: [TeXmacs] extern-exec and "further customization"

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] extern-exec and "further customization"
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:02:58 +0100

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:34:09AM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> >> Yes, this seems to do it. Thanks. TeXmacs doesn't seem to like the
> >> second thing I tried, though... It doesn't appreciate plugin foo
> >> telling it
> >> DATA_BEGIN command:(plugin-eval "foo" "default" "bar") DATA_END
> >> it seems to go into an infinite loop of issuing bar to plugin foo.
>
> > That is not surprising, since your plug-in seems to ask TeXmacs to
> > ask the *same* plug-in for executing some command, all over the
> > *same* pipe.
>
> Yes, exactly :) I'm not surprised it doesn't work, but I don't see why
> it cannot work.

Because you use the same connection state variables for
two different executions: the outer and the inner one.

> > This is not reasonable: your plug-in might directly execute the command
> > instead of passing through TeXmacs.
>
> This supposes that the command does not depend on the TeXmacs state. I
> was hoping to get information about the TeXmacs state in this
> way. Something like:
>
> DATA_BEGIN command:(plugin-eval "foo" "default" (string-append "callback:
> pos foo " (object->string (position-get foo)))) DATA_END

I agree that we might want to send some information back on

DATA_BEGIN command: ... DATA_END

You may try to hack the TeXmacs source code so as to send

DATA_BEGIN return: ... DATA_END

back to your plug-in when the command evaluates to a non-void result.
If done correctly, I will include such a hack in the main distribution.

Best wishes, Joris