Re: [TeXmacs] headers and toc

  • From: Bob Lounsbury <address@hidden>
  • To: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] headers and toc
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:55:43 -0600

Hello,

First, thanks for the included response. I did finally figure out how to change the name of the toc, lof, and lot. What might be helpful from the point of view of a newbie is to actually explain some of the steps. For instance, saying that "you may redefine the macros "section-text", "table-of-contents-text", etc." doesn't really help because someone new to the program doesn't know what a "macro" really is or how to "redefine" it. What would be useful is to include the steps (I found it most useful to include these items in the preamble, located at "Document-Part-Show Preamble"):

For example to change the name of the toc from 'Table of contents' to 'Contents'
1) Go to "Document-Part-Show Preamble",
2) Then "Source-Definition-Assign",
3) Type 'table-of-contents-text" hit the right arrow key and type the name you want to change it to 'Contents',

I have also looked at the documentation for the headers but I don't see any way of changing them or distinguishing between the left, right, or center header. A short example of how to change say, the left header on every page would be very helpful. I did an "Assign|page-the-page|page-even-header" and nothing happened. I'm not following how to change the headers.

While I'm at it, I have another question. Any thoughts on how to change the list of figures format from just listing 'caption . . . . . 1' to listing 'Figure 1 caption . . . . . 1? And how to only include a shortened caption title in the list of figures? Also, I tried using the 'figure-name' macro and I've lost the figure numbering. What do I have to include to have the figure number included?

I know this is long, but if I could just get these things figured out my thesis format would be finished and I could just start writing it rather that fighting with formatting issues.

Thanks in advance.
Bob Lounsbury

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 00:28 +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:15:48PM -0600, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> Well, I'm new to TeXmacs and have been reading the documentation to try
> and get a handle on the program for writing my thesis and I have a
> couple of questions. My first question is: Is there any documentation
> that explicitly explains how to make changes to documents and doesn't
> just tell you what all the commands are? Meaning, I've used TeX briefly
> and this documentation explicitly explains and gives examples of how to
> change different aspects of your document. For instance in TeX the
> package 'fancyhdr' is very popular for controlling headers and footers
> and it is explained explicitly that to change the headers or footers in
> your document you insert (into your preamble):
>
>     \usepackage{fancyhdr}
>     \pagestyle{fancy}
>     \rhead{\thepage}     This command gives you the current page number
> in the right header
>     \cfoot{}    This command eliminates anything in the center foot
> position
>
> I am not seeing instruction on how to modify the header of TeXmacs
> documents. The user manual only lists things like: odd-page-header :=,
> or <set-header|> from the Insert-Permanent-Header menu, or other
> commands. However, I don't know what to enter into these fields to
> modify the header or where in the document to enter these commands.
>
> So, is there any documentation that explains this a little more clearly?
> Or maybe a two-line reply will clear this all up for me. I'm not trying
> to be rude or say the documentation is bad or anything I'm just confused
> and trying to understand how the program works because I think that it
> will be a very good program to write my thesis in (much much better than
> Microsoft Word).
>
> What I need is the page number to be displayed in the right header on
> every page, with nothing else in the header or footer, and the
> preliminary pages to be numbered i, ii, iii and the remaining pages to
> be numbered 1, 2, 3 with a 12pt header at 0.75in from the top. Also, it
> would be nice if I could capitalize the c, f, and t in the toc, lof, and
> lot. So rather than "Table of contents" it is "Table of Contents". I am
> using the article document style.

I agree that the TeXmacs header system is a little bit complex and
that it should be better documented. As a general remark, you may do

	<F1> odd page header <return>

to get some information. The macro in the second link is instructive
on the kind of commands which are used for producing headers.
Especially the "page-the-page" macro can be used in order to obtain
the page number. Notice that the "number" macro can be used for
producing roman numbers (search the docs).

As to the names of special sections, you may redefine the macros
"section-text", "table-of-contents-text", etc. Again, you might
have discovered this by doing

	<F1> table of contents <return>

and clicking on section-base-customize.en.tm.

Best wishes, Joris