Re: [TeXmacs] headers and toc

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] headers and toc
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:48:32 +0200

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 01:55:43PM -0600, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> First, thanks for the included response. I did finally figure out how to
> change the name of the toc, lof, and lot. What might be helpful from the
> point of view of a newbie is to actually explain some of the steps. For
> instance, saying that "you may redefine the macros "section-text",
> "table-of-contents-text", etc." doesn't really help because someone new
> to the program doesn't know what a "macro" really is or how to
> "redefine" it. What would be useful is to include the steps (I found it
> most useful to include these items in the preamble, located at
> "Document-Part-Show Preamble"):
>
> For example to change the name of the toc from 'Table of contents' to
> 'Contents'
> 1) Go to "Document-Part-Show Preamble",
> 2) Then "Source-Definition-Assign",
> 3) Type 'table-of-contents-text" hit the right arrow key and type the
> name you want to change it to 'Contents',
> toc name should be changed.

You are right; the documentation should be improved...

> I have also looked at the documentation for the headers but I don't see
> any way of changing them or distinguishing between the left, right, or
> center header. A short example of how to change say, the left header on
> every page would be very helpful. I did an "Assign|page-the-page|
> page-even-header" and nothing happened. I'm not following how to change
> the headers.

You can only change the entire header (and entire footer).
Of course, you could write a style file with markup for
changing the individual parts...

> While I'm at it, I have another question. Any thoughts on how to change
> the list of figures format from just listing 'caption . . . . . 1' to
> listing 'Figure 1 caption . . . . . 1? And how to only include a
> shortened caption title in the list of figures? Also, I tried using the
> 'figure-name' macro and I've lost the figure numbering. What do I have
> to include to have the figure number included?

For custimizations of the rendering, I definitely suggest you to examine
the standard TeXmacs style files and packages. In this case, the appropriate
files to look at are 'std-automatic.ts' and 'env-float.ts'. In particular,
modifying/enhancing the 'list-caption' macro should probably do what you want;
just redefine it in the preamble of your document.

Best wishes, Joris