Re: macaulay 2 in texmacs

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: "Rogers, Mark W" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: macaulay 2 in texmacs
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:51:12 +0100

Rogers, Mark W wrote:

For instance, I was unable to find a directory where './setup' would work.
Also, I could not find a Macaulay2/lib directory. I spent my time looking in
the /usr directory for places to try './setup'.

I supposed you installed Macaulay2 from the Macaulay2 website:
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/Macaulay2/Downloads/index.html

Usually, it involves downloading an archive, unpacking it in
one directory of your choice, and then running an "install"
command of one kind or another (what to do exactly is usually
explained in files named "INSTALL", or "COMPILE", perhaps, in
the root directory of the archive).

If you are using the special installation tool, things are
different : these tools make things more easy for you most
of the time, but when something doesn't work, its's harder,
because they also hide things from you.

I was unable to figure out how to upgrade to the latest version of TeXmacs.

CVS co + ./configure;make;make install

I suppose it involves adding a repository but I don't know what that
repository is.

Neither do I, and I don't care.

The usual procedure for downloading and compiling, which
works with lots of UNIX software is (I suppose you have
basic knowledge about what a shell is, how to run commands
under a shell, etc.) :

1. Downloading from the CVS. In the case of TeXmacs, you
must create a directory somewhere, then cd to this directory,
then type (the prompts are fictional) :
[[
/home/henri>mkdir mydir
/home/henri>cd mydir
/home/henri/mydir>cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/texmacs
CVS password: {Hit ENTER here}
/home/henri/mydir>cvs co src
/home/henri/mydir>cvs logout
/home/henri/mydir>cd src
/home/henri/mydir/src>_
]]

2. Compiling

Then to compile TeXmacs (supposing you are root):
[[
/home/henri/mydir/src>./configure
/home/henri/mydir/src>make
/home/henri/mydir/src>make install
/home/henri/mydir/src>_
]]

I don't know if this will work, but there are more chances this way.

Best, Henri