Re: [Maxima] TeXmacs and maxima-5.14.0

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Robert Dodier <address@hidden>
  • Cc: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [Maxima] TeXmacs and maxima-5.14.0
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:10:56 +0100

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:19:10PM -0700, Robert Dodier wrote:
> On 1/10/08, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:05:46PM +0600, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
>
> > > By the way, what do you all think - if we drop support of *really*
> > > ancient
> > > versions of maxima (<=5.9.2), then the scripts can be greatly
> > > simplified.
> > > This still leaves a lot of supported versions - 5.9.3 to 5.14.0. Maybe,
> > > it's time to do this?
> >
> > [vdhoeven@alcazar src]$ maxima --version
> > Maxima 5.9.0
> >
> > Hmm, when I will buy I need machine ;^)
>
> Joris, I'm sorry, but I can't tell what you mean here.

I meant, when I will buy a new machine (I must have been really tired when
answering).

> Can you please say whether you are in favor of the suggestion to
> drop support for versions of Maxima up to and including 5.9.2 ??

At the moment not, because my criterion for what is an "old version"
is whether I still use such a version on one of my machines.
I think this is a reasonable criterion for (lazy) users who install
(or get installed) what they need when buying a new computer,
but don't change their installation afterwards.

> It's up to you, but it seems like it would be beneficial to TeXmacs
> if it did not have to be modified for each new Maxima release.

Another solution might be to simply anticipate some of
the upcoming version numbers ;^)

Best wishes, Joris