Re: [TeXmacs] Re: [Maxima] TeXmacs and maxima-5.14.0

  • From: "Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: Robert Dodier <address@hidden>, "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Re: [Maxima] TeXmacs and maxima-5.14.0
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:13:47 +0300

Joris van der Hoeven writes:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:19:10PM -0700, Robert Dodier wrote:
On 1/10/08, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:05:46PM +0600, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
By the way, what do you all think - if we drop support of *really* ancient
versions of maxima (<=5.9.2), then the scripts can be greatly simplified.
This still leaves a lot of supported versions - 5.9.3 to 5.14.0. Maybe,
it's time to do this?
[vdhoeven@alcazar src]$ maxima --version
Maxima 5.9.0

Hmm, when I will buy I need machine ;^)
Joris, I'm sorry, but I can't tell what you mean here.

I meant, when I will buy a new machine (I must have been really tired when
answering).

Can you please say whether you are in favor of the suggestion to
drop support for versions of Maxima up to and including 5.9.2 ??

At the moment not, because my criterion for what is an "old version"
is whether I still use such a version on one of my machines.
I think this is a reasonable criterion for (lazy) users who install
(or get installed) what they need when buying a new computer,
but don't change their installation afterwards.

It's up to you, but it seems like it would be beneficial to TeXmacs
if it did not have to be modified for each new Maxima release.

Another solution might be to simply anticipate some of
the upcoming version numbers ;^)

Jokes aside. IMHO this is really the best approach.
I maintain Maxima nad TeXmacs for ALT Linux distro for
several years. And I always build TeXmacs with tiny patch
which modifies behaviour of tm_maxima in simple way.
If Maxima version doesn't match known version tm_maxima
doesn't barf "Unknown Maxima version" but tries to start
Maxima with the latest version of interface package -
texmacs-maxima-5.11.0.lisp at present.

--
Vadim V. Zhytnikov

<address@hidden>