Re: [TeXmacs] \S hybrid command and export to Latex

  • From: "David Allouche" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] \S hybrid command and export to Latex
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:37:01 +0200

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Kostas Oikonomou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I type ''\S'' in a TeXmacs buffer, this gets translated into the
> paragraph or section symbol on the screen, as it should. (I mean the same
> symbol that Latex produces when it sees \S.)
>
> However, when I look into the actual .tm file, TeXmacs has translated the \S
> into the hex (unicode?) character \237. I don't see the point of this
> translation.

This is not a "translation": *.tm documents are recorded in TeXmacs'
own special encoding. This encoding happens to be close enough to
ASCII that the discrepancy is not readily apparent. TeXmacs encoding
is as different to ASCII as UTF8.

> When you export the .tm file to Latex, Latex does not
> understand the \237 and does not produce a section symbol.

Then, this is a bug in the latex export filter.

> I am looking through the source code trying to discover where this
> translation happens. Any pointers would be appreciated!

The place that defines that the sequence of keystrokes [backslash] [S]
causes the insertion of \237:
/usr/share/TeXmacs/progs/texmacs/keyboard/latex-kbd.scm, line 62.

But this is not what you want to modify. You sond like what you really
want is to fix a bug in the latex export filter. in
TeXmacs/progs/convert/latex.