Re: [TeXmacs] Math in title and Hyper-modifier

  • From: Robert Ramsay Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Math in title and Hyper-modifier
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:47:32 +0000

Aleksandar Andreski wrote:
1. I cant place greek characters in the title of a document
(style:article), i.e. F5 does not work in a math ("$") environment when
in the title of an article. It interprets the F5 as an "em" (Emphasis).
It also seems not possible to have equations in the title.

I am able to put math (including Greek letters) in the title of a document, but do have some issues. First, I don't know about F5 (my window manager, ion, traps it for other purposes) but typing a `$' works fine to enter math mode. Once I am there, though, the toolbars do not change to give me the normal math mode options. However, if I know the command for something (`\gamma', for instance) I can type that and it will work. Also, some shortcuts (like `^' for superscript) do not work and I need to type its command as well (`\rsup').

Alternately (as Javier mentioned), one can start a fresh paragraph below the title, type the math in a separate environment, then copy it from there to the desired place in the title (as I did in the attached file).

2. The Hyper modifier doesn't work (it is not replacing F5 in math
mode). [...]

Sorry, what is the desired behaviour of the hyper modifier? I gather that you wish to press the key combination Menu+F5 (where you have bound Hyper_L to the Menu key) and have it do something besides put you in math mode. Is that right? I'm no expert in modifiers, but it would help if your goal was a little clearer.

P.S. Why is the Tutorial menu grayed out in Help->Full Manuals?

Last I heard, it was because the latest (built-in) tutorial was lagging significantly behind the current application's behaviour. Try the following URLs for a more up-to-date introduction to the software, courtesy Henri Lesourd:

a Little TeXmacs Dictionary:
http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~henri/texmacs/aLittleTeXmacsDictionary.pdf

a TeXmacs tutorial:
http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~henri/texmacs/aTeXmacsTutorial.pdf

Helpfully,
Rob

registered under charity number SC000278.

<TeXmacs|1.0.7>

<\body>
  <doc-data|<doc-title|The Equation ``<math|\<gamma\><rsup|2>-1=0>'' is
  Pasted from Below>>

  <math|\<gamma\><rsup|2>-1=0>

<\initial>
  <\collection>
    <associate|language|british>
    <associate|page-type|# Simply write the paper name. See papersize(5) for
    possible values>
    <associate|preamble|false>
  </collection>
</initial>