Re: [TeXmacs] How to install Texmacs 1.0.7 on Ubuntu

  • From: Paul Zarucki <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] How to install Texmacs 1.0.7 on Ubuntu
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:47:57 +0000

Davide and Javier,

Thank you for your helpful comments, you are both correct.

It is better to make a package which you then install. I must learn how to make Debian packages when I have time. Also, I avoid the Debian "testing" repository and use "stable" instead. The fast and exciting life is not for me, but I do make exceptions when there is some nice new software I want, such as a new version of Texmacs!

Binary packages for downloading would also be nice, but I would have to make packages for each version of Debian and Ubuntu and for each CPU architecture (i386, amd64,...). I find it easy to write little recipes or shell scripts which can be used by people with less technical knowledge. They can also be adapted to different needs and are educational for those who want to learn more.

Davide,
I had to add some steps to your procedure to make it work on my 32-bit Ubuntu 8.04 system:

# Add Debian Testing to your list of repositories
sudo apt-get update

# Install a package we need:
sudo apt-get install fakeroot

# Install Texmacs dependencies:
sudo apt-get install groff texlive-base texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils texlive-math-extra

# Get the source code and compile it to make a new package:
apt-get source texmacs
sudo apt-get build-dep texmacs
apt-get -b source texmacs

# Install the new Texmacs package:
sudo dpkg -i *deb

Regards,

Paul.

Davide Anchisi wrote: You can also build deb packages, through the debian distribution, and then install them the debian/ubuntu way. Thies way texmacs will be managed by the system software tools.

Version 1.0.7 is in Debian experimental.

So:

1. add:
   deb-src http://debian.fastweb.it/debian/ experimental main contrib
to the file /etc/apt/source.list (you can remove the line after installing texmacs).

2. to resynchronize the package index, run:
   sudo apt-get update

3. to download the source code, run:
   apt-get source texmacs

4. to check if something is missing and to install it, run:
   sudo apt-get build-dep texmacs

5. to compile, run:
   apt-get -b source texmacs

After building you'll have *deb packages in the current directory.
6. to install, run:
   sudo dpkg -i *deb

It's done!

I hope this may help,