Re: [TeXmacs] Re: Problem using cocoa TeXmacs SVN on Mac OSX

  • From: Madhusudan Singh <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Re: Problem using cocoa TeXmacs SVN on Mac OSX
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 22:58:52 -0700

Thanks for the update.

Installing an entire GUI library (Qt) just to use one app just seems like an overkill. I will just use texmacs on a linux machine somewhere if I need to. I can manage without it since a combination of TeXshop, Word and Pages does most of the work TeXmacs can do (not counting the plugins of course).

I will be eager to use it once there is a cocoa port one day.

Currently the Qt version works fine under Mac. I use it everyday and apart from some still unimplemented features (like the graphical mode) it does not have major bugs. The makefile has also a target to produce a full-fledged .app bundle (make BUNDLE) which is relocatable. We are working hard to finalize the Qt port which is our main priority for the moment. Personally I would also like to have a native Cocoa version but the development of this particular backend is for the moment suspended since we are too few to disperse ourselves in too many projects. A reasonable goal is to finish and stabilize the Qt port and then maybe update the Cocoa port. For the moment however the Cocoa port should be considered suspendend and I'm not even trying to keep it compilable. Note that the Qt port can take advantage of the Mac environment by using the native spell-checker or the native PS/PDF conversion (thus without requiring ghostscript or ispell to be installed).

Note that currently TeXmacs/Qt version compile under Snow Leopard but it shows some non-critical bugs due to the different Qt version needed (4.6-beta). Most of the development of the Qt port takes place under Mac 10.5 with Qt 4.4.3 so if you want to try I would suggest you to install this particular version of Qt.

Best,
Massimiliano