Re: [TeXmacs] UNIX error 84

  • From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] UNIX error 84
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:30:15 +0600 (NOVT)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Masaru Nomiya wrote:
I've ungraded openSUSE from 11.1 to 11.3.
So, I recompiled Maxima-23.0.tar.gz and TeXmacs-1.0.7.9-src.ta.gz.

Then I started TeXmacs, and selected insert --> sesseion --> maxima
from menu, I got an error message;

UNIX error 84 (EILSEQ): Invalid multibyte or wide character
Busy...

Maxima]
Looks like some locale-related problem.

1. From xterm (or konsole or whatever you use), try

maxima

Does it run normally? What does it say about its version and the lisp it uses?

2. Try to run maxima_detect (it is in /usr/libexec/TeXmacs/bin/, or where you installed TeXmacs). It should say something like

grozin@elrond ~ $ /usr/libexec/TeXmacs/bin/maxima_detect
(
"5.23.1 cmucl"
"5.23.1 ecl"
"5.23.1 clisp"
"5.23.1 gcl"
"5.23.1 sbcl"
"5.23.1 openmcl"
)

Each line in the list gives the maxima version and lisp.

3. Try to run tm_maxima (it lives in the same directory) with 2 parameters: version and lisp. To this end, first set

TEXMACS_PATH=/usr/share/TeXmacs
export TEXMACS_MAXIMA_PATH

(modify the path to your needs; this derectory must contain the subdirectory plugins/ ). Then

grozin@elrond ~ $ /usr/libexec/TeXmacs/bin/tm_maxima 5.23.1 gcl
verbatim:
Maxima 5.23.1 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.8 (a.k.a. GCL)
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
channel:promptlatex:\red (\mathrm{\%i}1) \black

At this point, you should be able to type end execute maxima commands, e.g.,

quit();
latex:\red The end\black

4. Start texmacs from xterm (or whatever), try to start a maxima session from it, and observe error messages in this xterm.

5. Try to change locale:

export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8

or

export LC_ALL=C