Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs workshop from February 26 until March 2

  • From: François Beaubert <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs workshop from February 26 until March 2
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:36:47 +0100

Great news !
I wish you the best for this workshop and I'm sure great project ideas will emerge from the fruitful discussions.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to participate to this workshop but may I suggest you some ideas (from a beginner in TeXmacs) which could be discussed at the workshop ?

Navigation in the document:
---------------------------------------

Perhaps better than a menu, a gui widget docked on the left of the document window which can show the tree of the:

o Table of contents
o List of figures
o List of tables
o List of equations
o List of labels and references
o and so on ...

And why not move whole chapters, sections within this docked widget ?

Labels, References and Citations
o When inserting a label auto-magically suggests a label based on the current environment. For example: sec: if in a section environment, eq: if in an equation, etc ...
o When including  a reference/citation help the user with a GUI in which you can sort, filter, group and the select the kind of reference/citation you would like to have for a label/bib-entry.

Word Completion and spell check correction
o The completion mechanism in could suggest the possible completion via a list overlay of the different candidates just under the current word. I find it better than shell like completion.
o inline spell-checking with the misspelled word underlined in red, suggestions could appear in a overlay list with a right mouse click (like in word, libreoffice and lyx for example)

Multiple documents and multiple views of the same document
o Tabs support (like in Firefox, Chrome, etc) could greatly enhance document switching
o Splitting (vertical, horizontal) the current document view could allow the possibility of viewing two different parts of the same document

Emacs like org-mode+babel
---------------------------------------
o For Emacs hardcore users (like me :) ) I see an huge potential in Texmacs to achieve the same goal:  keeping scientific notes, spreadsheets tables, ideas and small executable piece of code in the same environment
o Tag classification support (as in org-mode) enables the user to find all the notes belonging to a tag.

o http://orgmode.org/
o http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html

Beamer like document style
--------------------------------------

o the current implementation of the beamer  style looks very powerful but I was not able to find a good tutorial to really understand all the concepts and features of the style.
o enhance the current theme with more eye friendly environment like:
  * more kind of frames or boxes: shadow, rounded, color gradient fill for Title, sections, equations
  * define differents colorthemes for the text, the equation, the slides/section titles, background, etc
  * logos
  * numbered sections, subsections, etc ...
  * do not mask completely the next switches but instead allow the user to make them appear in gray or something like this
  * the best is perhaps to go to http://www.hartwork.org/beamer-theme-matrix/ to have a better idea of what I mean
o possibility to have a compact table of contents in each slide with hyperlinks capabilities for an easy presentation navigation
o video support inclusion
o export to pdf
  * full version with all the screen switches
  * handout version
o enhance the current drawing capabilities to be able to draw box around terme of equation, arrows between elements, etc (like pgf/tikz for Beamer)

The idea to stream the talks is excellent. You could also make the slides of the talks download-able.

Enjoy your workshop in Portugal :)
Best Regards
Francois