Re: [TeXmacs] spell check

  • From: Davide Anchisi <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] spell check
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:48:37 +0200

Ciao Massimiliano,

I am on a Debian GNU/Linux 64 bit system.

The problem: Start new document, chose Document -> language -> Italian,

write some text with accents, e.g. università (I don't know if you can see it correctly encoded, should be sort of unversita', but wiht the accent on the "a")
The terminal says :
TeXmacs] Launching 'aspell -a -d italian'

and I get the following choices from within texmacs:
a: accept, r: replace, i: insert, 1: universitÃa , 2: universi
[but with an invers "^" on the last "a"]

If I chose accept then, immediately after or if I try to run the spell check again I get the message (from within texmacs)
Error: ispell does not respond
And on the console:
TeXmacs] ispell error: Errore: The word "universit?" is invalid. Il carattere '?' (U+3F) non può comparire alla fine di una parola.

I played a little, and I got this behaviour for some words (e.g. è, portò, perché, caffé -- e', porto', perche', caffe'), but not with others (tagliò, più, lì -- taglio', piu', li'). That's very strange...

I hope there will be an easy solution.

Grazie

Davide

Quoting address@hidden:

Hi Davide and Massimiliano,

I have the same issue as Davide, in French. I'm using Linux.

When I spell check any document with French language, it chokes on every accented letter, but also ï, etc.
The console reports :

TeXmacs] Launching 'aspell -a -d french'
TeXmacs] ispell error: Erreur : The word "pr?cis" is invalid. Le caractère '?' (U+3F) ne peut pas apparaître au milieu d'un mot.

TeXmacs] ispell error: Erreur : The word "?" is invalid. Le caractère '?' (U+3F) ne peut pas apparaître au début d'un mot.

TeXmacs] ispell error: Erreur : The word "rh?torique" is invalid. Le caractère '?' (U+3F) ne peut pas apparaître au milieu d'un mot.

(I pressed "a" for accept each time. The second word was à).
Moreover, usually after a couple of "accept", I get a message in the footer : "Error: ispell does not respond".

I attach a copy of the window during the checking of the first word above (précis). Check the footer : the proposed replacements are only 3-letters long, and there are obviously problems with accents. It's strange that it works on your mac, though.

best regards,
Philippe

Massimiliano Gubinelli - address@hidden wrote:
Ciao Davide,
can you be more precise? I use spell checking every day in french and i didn't notice any particular problem with accents.
Can you give me a procedure to reproduce in order to see the problems you are facing?

grazie,

Massimiliano