Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs databases ?

  • From: Sam Liddicott <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs databases ?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:17:19 +0100

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
The new functionality is on the SVN. If you want something else
or more, then I suggest to take a look at the 'dynamic-filter-buffer'
function in 'fold-edit.scm'. It is quite easy to write Scheme routines
that perform actions on a document, since TeXmacs documents are
naturally structured. In any case, this technique is probably
much easier than using external scripts.

Yet, I am not completely convinced that this way of doing things
is really the most natural.

With a texmacs document, scheme is the best way to manipulate and extract documents. I hesitate to say, but I feel that the scheme techniques will approach the capabilities of xpath and xlstproc. I will refrain for the rest of the year from mentioning how desirable texmacs would be as a general purpose extensible macro xml editor, combining svg, mathml, xhtml, with xslt and all the rest. I promise! (No more cork, portable document format, subject to xslt manipulation but with texmacs macro goodness - some of which could convert to css) anyway... I dream, but who has the time...there are even various scheme implementations in _javascript_ into which the macro language could be stuffed... ahh...

Sam