[TeXmacs] Introductory help: Using Texmacs for managing a data repository

  • From: Peeter Tinits <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Introductory help: Using Texmacs for managing a data repository
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:11:39 +0300

Hi all,

I was looking for a beginner's forum to post this question, but as I found none, I hope
this list is a suitable place. I have just discovered texmacs, and I'm quite excited
about the possibilities of using this.

Texmacs definately has a focus on making the materials publishable and presentable, but
I'm thinking that it's significant customizability might also make it an ideal solution for other
purposes where structured documents might be useful.

I have found the single 'unroll' and 'switch' capabilities, and I am wondering whether these might
also be used in a more complex manner.

So that you could link up more than one 'unroll' tree or 'switch' tree to each-other, so that when
looping through one, also others would go through. E.g. as when looping between subchapter/subparagraph
visibility in some outliners (e.g. emacs org-mode) or using the switch to loop through visibility of
all comments/remarks/proofs etc.

This would allow Texmacs to be used as both a platform for several drafts, as well as an interface
for collected data.

Can anyone guide me to such possibilities? If they do not exist in the basic set-up, perhaps someone
has made their own style package or extension which does something similar?

What would be ideal, is if you could create switch/unfold structures for a certain subchapters-type-x,
subchapters-type-y, subchapters-type-z, while combinations of switch-unroll would be even more
powerful.

If anything similar does not exist, it does seem that custom packages may give a very easy way
to implement this. Maybe someone has advice on how to go about doing this.

Thanks for the help,
Peeter

  • [TeXmacs] Introductory help: Using Texmacs for managing a data repository, Peeter Tinits, 06/11/2013