Re: [TeXmacs] Capital letters with diacritics in titles

  • From: Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden>
  • To: Tirifto <address@hidden>
  • Cc: TeXmacs <address@hidden>, Basile Audoly <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Capital letters with diacritics in titles
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 17:34:27 +0200

It would be possible to have also a TeXmacs file which presents this problem?

Thanks

On 19. Apr 2019, at 15:17, Basile Audoly <address@hidden> wrote:

I see. I will discuss this with the developers. I will keep you posted.
Basile

Le 18 avr. 2019 à 19:38, Tirifto <address@hidden> a écrit :

Je ĵaŭ, 2019-04-18 je 17:07 +0200, Basile Audoly skribis:
Hi,

thanks for reporting the bug. Could you try to be more specific on
what you type, what you expect and what you get?

Sure! For instance, let's say I'm filling out the author tag in the
title; I type the words ‘Eĥoŝanĝo ĉiuĵaŭde’, I expect those exact words
to appear fully in small capitals, but I get only the letters without
diacritics in small capitals; those with diacritics appear in their
ordinary (non-capital) form.

I'm attaching a picture (SmallCaps TeXmacs LibreOffice.png) depicting
the text improperly set by TeXmacs, in comparison to the same text set
properly by LibreOffice. Alternatively, you may find it attached to the
original bug report [1]. The font I used is ‘Linux Libertine’ [2], but
the problem occurs with the default font as well.

(And as mentioned in the bug report, not all letters with diacritics
have this problem; if I type ‘é, û, ë’, those appear correctly as small
capitals.)

For me (using TeXmacs in MacOS), a given sequence of keystrokes
produces always the same result, whether in small caps mode or not.
For instance, 'Cmd-^ u' always produces the correct symbol û, while
'Cmd-^ h' produces ^h, no matter if I am in small capitals mode or
not. That simply seems to indicate that some diacritics such as ĥ are
not recognized by TeXmacs.

I use TeXmacs 1.99.8 on Parabola GNU+Linux-libre, with the GNOME
desktop environment, where I type the problematic letters using AltGr
(AltGr + C → Ĉ | AltGr + h → ĥ), having made this possible with GNOME
Tweak Tool [3].

However, I don't think the problem lies in my method of input, as I
have also tried simply typing the words in a separate window, and then
pasting them to TeXmacs, with the same undesirable results. Hope this
might shed some more light on the issue.

Basile

Thank you
// Tirifto

1. https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=44202
2. http://libertine-fonts.org/
3. Keyboard and mouse → Other layout options → Add Esperanto letters…