Re: [TeXmacs] Stack Exchange proposal

  • From: Giovanni Piredda <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Stack Exchange proposal
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 11:08:57 +0200

On 07.06.19 19:48, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:

If you have comments or critics about the opportunity to have TeXmacs present
on Stack Exchange, I think it will be also useful to discuss here.

It is a bit late to write potential criticism, but maybe still makes sense.

TeXmacs is a free software, and StackExchange a private company. There might be, let's say, incomplete compatibility.

One should say though where is the incompatibility, so the thing that I have in mind is that when writing a contribution for StackExchange one works in part for the profit of StackExchange, but without getting money: this is maybe invalid criticism, but it is one I have in mind; another one could be (this is a vague impression, may be wrong) that the presence of SE has reduced by a lot the activity of other forums, and this could be again an unpleasant thing that one might not want to support.

On the other hand SE is very effective (and therefore useful; by the way I am awed at how effective it is) for sharing knowledge, and user contributions are licensed under a free license (as far as I know CC BY-SA 3.0 for the text and MIT for the software). So maybe it is a good compromise.

I am curious to hear the thoughts of other people on this.

Of course in order for the SE proposal to succeed one still needs upvotes for the questions and therefore advertisement :-)