Re: Newer qt5 texmacs is slow while editing

  • From: Dennis Nezic <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Newer qt5 texmacs is slow while editing
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 12:16:29 -0400

I was finally able to compile 1.99.11 without Qt, and it was
significantly faster, I think basically the same as the 1.0.7 lagginess
that I was used to. For example, with the Qt5 compilation, simply
pressing Home and End on a line of basic text took about a second at
100% cpu, whereas with the X11 port it took about half a second and
about 50% cpu. I wish both could be a lot faster, I'm not sure why this
would be cpu intensive, but with Qt5 it was unbearable.

./configure
--disable-gs
--disable-qt
--enable-pdf-renderer
--disable-experimental

disabling cairo support
disabling imlib2 support
disabling axel support
disabling sqlite3 support
disabling Sparkle usage
enabling X11 port
disabling experimental Cocoa port
disabling debugging
enabling assertion checking
enabling warning flags -Wall -Wno-return-type
disabling sanity checks
disabling experimental style rewriting code
enabling optimizations, -O3 -fexpensive-optimizations

(With a few hiccups, I had to manually add "-lpthreads" to a makefile,
and I had to hack src/Plugins/LaTeX_Preview/latex_preview.cpp to get
rid of the gs_image_size and gs_prefix functions, since I was compiling
without ghostscript support, and I had to hack
src/Edit/Interface/edit_mouse.cpp to get rid of the reference to some
extern hashmap payloads, which was never really defined, except maybe
in src/Plugins/Qt/QTMWidget.cpp, but I disabled Qt support.)