Re: TeXmacs - Maxima and the theta character

  • From: Daniel Volinski <address@hidden>
  • To: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs - Maxima and the theta character
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 11:00:15 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Andrey.

Thank you for your response.

However I'm puzzled by your response because if I use wxMaxima and I write cos(theta) the response is cos(θ), if I write cos(θ) (with the Greek character) I also get cos(θ), if I export into Latex I also get \theta, never \vartheta.
I have never seen vartheta as a response of wxMaxima.
When is this line (defprop $theta "\\vartheta" texword) used in wxMaxima?

Thanks,

Daniel Volinski

En lunes, 24 de febrero de 2020 04:44:07 GMT+2, Andrey G. Grozin <address@hidden> escribió:

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Daniel Volinski wrote:
> I'm using the TeXmacs - Maxima interface. When I write in a Maxima cell the following: cos(theta), I get as a response cos
> of the Greek character known as vartheta not the Greek character theta. What should I do in order to get the later.
This is defined in maxima itself. The file src/mactex.lisp, which is used
to produce LaTeX output from maxima, contains

(defprop $theta "\\vartheta" texword)

You can write a short lisp file that redefines this property, and read it
in the beginning of your maxima session (say, from the maxima init file).
(Personally I think that the TeX \vartheta *is* the proper Greek letter
theta. It seems the authors of maxima mactex.lisp think the same.)

> Another question is, how can I put the actual Greek character theta in a Maxima cell instead of writing the name of the
> character?

I think this can be achieved by editing
src/plugins/maxima/progs/maxima-input.scm
Near the end of this file, add the line
("<theta>" "theta")
Then the TeXmacs character <theta> will be sent to maxima as the ascii
string theta (and this variable is displayed as the real greek letter in
the output).

Andrey