Re: TeXmacs - Maxima and the theta character

  • From: Daniel Volinski <address@hidden>
  • To: "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs - Maxima and the theta character
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 19:25:41 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Andrey,

Thanks, I understand now.

I put the following line at the beginning of the file in a Maxima cell:
:lisp (defprop $theta "\\theta" texword)
and now I get the θ I want.

Thanks again,

Daniel Volinski
En martes, 25 de febrero de 2020 15:32:53 GMT+2, Andrey G. Grozin <address@hidden> escribió:

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Daniel Volinski wrote:
> However I'm puzzled by your response because if I use wxMaxima and I write cos(theta) the response is cos(θ), if I write cos(θ) (with the Greek character) I also
> get cos(θ), if I export into Latex I also get \theta, never \vartheta.
> I have never seen vartheta as a response of wxMaxima.
> When is this line (defprop $theta "\\vartheta" texword) used in wxMaxima?
It is not used in wxMaxima.

The TeXmacs interface LaTeX generated by maxima:

grozin@bilbo ~ $ maxima
Maxima 5.43.2 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
using Lisp SBCL 2.0.1
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
(%i1) tex(theta);
$$\vartheta$$
(%o1)                                false
(%i2)

wxMaxima works not via LaTeX but via some flavour of xml. So, it does not
use mactex.lisp from maxima. Instead, it provides its own lisp file, which
converts maxima expressions to the specific kind of xml used by wxMaxima.

Andrey