Re: TeXmacs 2.1

  • From: TeXmacs <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: TeXmacs 2.1
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 11:14:57 +0200

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 07:04:08PM -0500, Michael Shea wrote:
> Well I must say I am a little disappointed with this release. While I am
> happy with the program as is, since this is a major version number release,
> I expected there to be major feature updates and was excited to explore
> them. I went straight to the changelog only to find the only difference
> listed between 2.1 and 1.99.21 was "Minor Bug Fixes".

This actually should not surprise you at all ;^)
For a major release, stability is crucially important.
But this is hard to achieve when making lots of changes,
unless you are a private company that can spend
a lot of money on internal testing.

The 1.99.* numbering also indicates that you should expect
consolidation instead of major changes (in fact, we did
introduce some major improvements during the 1.99.* releases,
but they were not really planned).

> It seems like the choice of the version release number might be related to
> the publicity push for TeXmacs, and I am fine with that. TeXmacs is such an
> awesome program I certainly wish it had wider distribution. I have some
> ideas on how to generate publicity and foster wider distribution. I also
> think that TeXmacs has the potential to revolutionize math education at the
> secondary and undergraduate level. I will start to share these ideas soon
> with the list.

Thanks, I am eager to hear your ideas!

Best wishes, --Joris